Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Homemade "snow dam" for roof?

There are many manufacturers of snow dams. The oldest current
producer is SnoJax:
http://www.snojax.com/ and http://www.nbt.ca/ and
http://www.alpinesnowguards.com/

There are metal ones that mimic old iron castings:
http://www.bronzeguard.com/bguardspc.html

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Mamba" wrote in message
An unusual snow load this year took out the vent pipe off my
steep metal roof. Since we rarely get big snow and the roof
normally sheds it quickly, I hadn't seriously considered a snow
dam or similar device until now.

I checked at the local building supply store, and the "dam"
product they sell appears to be a piece of heavy flashing with a
90 angle to form a ledge about 2" high. Not very impressive, and
no profile to match that of my roof.

With a vent pipe extending 18" above the roof line, I would
expect the dam to stop the bottom 2" or so, and potentially the
upper layers could slide over it and take the pipe out again.
The snow would have about 20' of roof to gain momentum.

So I am considering an alternate device, something like a few
very stout "pegs" in an inverted Vee shape above the vent pipe.
My theory is that snow or ice could come down but then be split
up or diverted by the set of pegs. They could be 6" or so high,
perhaps galvanized lag bolts with a short length of 3/4" pipe
around them. Perhaps a total length of 6" or so. I even have
paint to match my metal roof color!

Looking for opinions on whether this might/not work.

Cheers