Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default bye bye HD DVD

HD DVD may be a bit cheaper, though I can't see that it's dramatically
so. The similarities far outweigh the differences. It came down to:
In order not to repeat the Beta/VHS fiasco, one had to win, and early

Exactly. I was rooting for HD-DVD all along, but at some point it became
clear that something had to give, I'm just glad somebody won so I can
eventually think about buying HD, I was holding out before not wanting to be
screwed. As you say, the formats are so similar that I don't really care one
way or another so long as there aren't multiple competing standards.