Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Feb 19, 4:23�pm, wrote:
On Feb 18, 8:23 pm, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator"

wrote:
I still feel badly that I didn't replace the plastic drain valve with the
brass ball valve because I was afraid the plastic was not removable (that's
what Sears salespeople said anyway, instilling FUD in my mind).

Don't bother replacing the WH drain now. Fix the clogged dishwasher
instead.
Replace that factory drain valve in six months when you flush the WH
for your first maintenance interval.

As for that clogged dishwasher, you'll likely have to break the bricks
bricking it in in order to get to the innards.
Good luck. Ask questions. Take advice with a grain of salt.

And post back with your results!

donna is a nice new home owner. before you know it she will be like
most of us long termers, doing what we must, and ignoring drain valves
etc.

all she needs is doing one preventive maintence job that turns a
working whatever into a non functional disaster that costs a fortune
to fix.

i rather imagine most of us have been thru one of those.

kinda like pruning a tree, having a limb fall onto the roof, while
replacing damaged shingles fall off roof, hit power line, ripping it
off the side of the house. fortunately the poor fellow didnt get
shocked, or seriously hurt.

but the colateral costs, pay someone to finish tree trimming and clean
up, pay electrician to put service back on house, losts food in
fridge, power was off too long. my friend, spent nearly 2 days in
hospital, sent home on crutches.missed a week work no sick time.......

this happened to a guy i knew.

a old neighbor decided to replace his bathroom floor. lose floorboard,
ran nail into water line, flood took down kitchen cieling..

need plumber, new cieling and contracted out bathroom redo.

so he decided cars would be his thing, took air cleaner off to adjust
carbuerator, reved engine, air cleaner housing dropped into fan went
thru radiator.

tow truck, new fan, new radiator, misc repairs, had carb replaced.

new DIYers be careful so we dont add your story to the list

my memorable event

did some plumbing, opened main valve with one connection still open to
flush lines, main valve failed couldnt shut off, had to call water
company who had great trouble finding main valve, as street had been
raised........

could of got arrested so upset i forgot to pay for valve at hardware
store, i just walked out, no register stop, the store owner who knew
me thought it funny, as my shoies went squish squish waterlogged as i
walked out..

just a memorable day for a home repairer.

a buddy of mine in detroit was doing some wiring, turned breaker back
on, all power in building went out, fact all power from detroit to new
york. that big power failure from some years ago........... wasnt his
fault but just imagine

now that was funny!!!!!