Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mosquito under-25 repellant device

BRG wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..

Please don't assume what I think. I don't wish to share my
cigarette smoke with anyone apart from other smokers.

I am happy to find a smoker that agrees it is wrong to smoke
anywhere the public has access to or where there are any children
like streets, shops, houses, etc.

"anywhere the public has access to". Would that be the smoking
public or the non smoking public? 25% of the UK population enjoy a
perfectly legal activity.

But using your statistics, then the other 75% of the UK population
find it abhorrent - a majority I think (that's assuming there are no
fence-sitters)!
And remember, that a non-smoker also wish to carry out a perfectly
legal activity - breathing clean air!

Then they could frequent non smoking venues and I could frequent smoking
venues. Simple isn't it?

Think about it. If we had reasonable legislation instead of punitive
legislation, we could have specific smoking & non smoking venues.
Therefore 25% of the public could smoke in areas that 25% of the
population has access to.

But you do have legal 'smoking areas' - your own homes!

"streets"? Are you seriously suggesting second hand smoke is a
problem in the open air? Or are smokers responsible for global
warming?

It is a problem in the open air - smokers are polluting and here are
some statistics for you to inhale:

SECONDHAND SMOKE CONTAINS 4,000 TOXIC CHEMICALS
People that breath secondhand smoke are at risk of the same diseases
as smokers, including cancer and heart disease, because secondhand
smoke contains 4,000 toxic chemicals. It is estimated that secondhand
smoke causes thousands of deaths each year.

Oh dear, not that old chestnut again. You really are gullible aren't you?

OK, for the hard of thinking, lets go through it one thing at a time;

"SECONDHAND SMOKE CONTAINS 4,000 TOXIC CHEMICALS" Indeed it does, but at
what dose? You don't know do you? Basic rule of toxicology 'the poison is
in the dose'. May I remind you that many other things also contain many
toxic chemicals.

"People that breath secondhand smoke are at risk of the same diseases as
smokers, including cancer and heart disease,"

Clearly riduculous. Smokers must absorb the majority of the toxins, or
smoking would have no adverse affect on them. Therefore smoke diluted by
the smoker cannot have the same effect.

As a matter of interest, non smokers also develop lung cancer. Before you
trot out the Roy Castle argument you should know that non smokers develop an
entirely different form of cancer in a copletely different part of the lung.

"It is estimated that secondhand smoke causes thousands of deaths each year"

Indeed it is. Estimated. 'Thousands' is an interesting term. There are
'official' figures for the number of deaths caused by passive smoking. The
UK Guvmint claim either 9,000 or 11,000 in the UK (depends which department
you listen to). The EU claim 16,000 Europeans (which includes the UK) every
year. I'll leave you to spot the anomaly in the figures.

I see your train of thought. You are suggesting that second hand
smoke in the open air is a serious threat to the health of small
children & possibly fluffy bunnies.

That is a fact - see above or of you can find the time or effort -
just do a quick 'google' and look for yourself - or just in case you
are a little blinkered I'll do one for you

What? Its a fact that second hand smoke in the open air is a serious threat
to the health of small children & possibly fluffy bunnies?

That statement shows just how ignorant you are of the facts - if you
have kids yourself and you smoke in the house - then work it out for
yourself!

Well strangely enough we designated the kitchen (with two extractor fans) as
our smoking area simply because they didn't like the smell.

So what does that make you? A long term executioner and a suicide
candidate I would say!

Keep the argument rational please. "Long term executioner"? Not letting
emotion get in the way are we?

When they came for the Jews and the blacks, I turned away
When they came for the writers and the thinkers and the radicals and
the protesters, I turned away
When they came for the gays, and the minorities, and the utopians,
and the dancers, I turned away
And when they came for me, I turned around and around, and there was
nobody left...

That is a *******isation of a disputed poem depicting mass slaughter,
and the use it in this context to justify your own habit really shows
how pathetic you are!

Alas it displays that the smoking ban is the thin end of the wedge. Who is
next? Drinkers? Bacon sarnie eaters? Drivers? Fat people? You?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk