Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Sandman Mr Sandman is offline

Default Increasing woodburner efficency!

"cynic" wrote in message
On 19 Feb, 17:27, "Mr Sandman"
wrote:
It strikes me that if we could extract more heat from the flue and attach
fan like one you'd see on a fan assisted boiler, we get even better heat
output where its wanted and not up the chimeny. Ive not seen anything on
the market that does this...so do you think it'd be worth experimenting
with?

Steve

Don't forget the tars which will condense out of the flue gases and
stick to the liner until such time as they ignite. Burning wood often
results in chimney fires

At what temperature is the tar likely to condense? If you could sense the
flue temp in various stages up the flue, i suppose you could prevent the
flue from getting too cold?

I was thinking of using something like a sleeve over the flue with a fan
blowing air down the void between the flue and the sleeve and let it exit at
the log burner. if you used a series of sensors attached to the flue
controlling the fan speed dependant of flue temperature you could prevent
the flue from getting too cold that there would be insufficient draft so the
fire would burn ok and there would be limited condensing of tars.

Steve