Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default A circuit is 99% down.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:58:57 -0500, Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:08:12 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

One of the circuit in my house has all of a sudden died. It happened
when I was trying to plug in a (working) device in the outlet, and
something in the outlet popped with a bright spark. Now the circuit is
down, except when I use a voltage detector it beeps and when I use a
meter it shows a voltage of 3V. I don't think it's the circuit breaker
because I swapped it out and it didn't affect anything. What could
this be?

Many thanks in advance!

Check: loose connection, broken wire, GFCI, bad circuit breaker, wall
switch, improper wiring.

Outlets are frequently daisy-chained. Start from the circuit breaker and
check each outlet till you get to the last live one. Check the wiring leading
to the dead outlet.

Flip the breaker off to see which outlets are on the circuit.