Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default A circuit is 99% down.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:08:12 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

One of the circuit in my house has all of a sudden died. It happened
when I was trying to plug in a (working) device in the outlet, and
something in the outlet popped with a bright spark. Now the circuit is
down, except when I use a voltage detector it beeps and when I use a
meter it shows a voltage of 3V. I don't think it's the circuit breaker
because I swapped it out and it didn't affect anything. What could
this be?

Many thanks in advance!

Check: loose connection, broken wire, GFCI, bad circuit breaker, wall
switch, improper wiring.