Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Well Water Treatment for Low pH

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
I moved to a home with a well 2 1/2 years ago, my first home with a
well, so managing it is all new to me.

I have colleagues and neighbors who have warned that if the pH of
the well water is low (acidic) and you have copper pipes, you could
develop pinhole leaks, and recommend a water softener/conditioner
system to soften the water and balance the pH.

We use a filter for drinking water, and the house has a screen type
of filter for large particulates.

I have mostly plastic pipes, so I don't have to worry about pinhole
leaks. However, since we bought the house (it is now 10 years old),
we have had to replace both sink faucets in the second upstairs
bathroom. On the most recent one, the plumber said there were
signs of erosion, some greenish deposits, and suggested we get his
company to give an estimate for a softener/conditioner system.

I got the estimate, and the plumber who gave the estimate tested
the water, and said that the pH was a little low (slightly acidic).
He did say that this could lead to future failure of faucets and
the water heater, as well as stains/deposits in sinks and toilets.
We have had no stains or deposits ever.

The estimate is $3000 (!!).
Any advice?

He's trying to screw you. You should be able to get a softener
installed for a 1/3 of that; closer to 1/4 if you do it yourself (not
hard). You can also rent them from Culligan for $25/month or so -
more expensive than buying but no maintenance.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...