Posted to misc.rural,rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Chainsaws

In article ,
says...
ny suggestions would be appreciated. I ran a search of the
newsgroups and didn't find anything very recent on the subject. I
also question if the Husqvarnas have deteriorated in production
quality in recent years? Are the Stihl and Husqvarna still equal in
quality?

40cc is probably sufficient for what you are talking about. It will have plenty
of grunt for pulling a chain around a 16" bar. I personally hesitate to go to
smaller saws, I had the loan of a 30cc Stihl for a couple of years and that saw
was just prone to getting stuck and kicking back -- my 50cc Husky (24 years
old, and still going well, with a 16" and a 20" bar) doesn't ever do that nor
does my 90cc Dolmar. Kickback happens more to light and underpowered saws. But
on the other hand you don't want to go too big, or the old gentleman won't be
able to use it for any length of time, like Robert said.

-P.