Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Well Water Treatment for Low pH

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
I moved to a home with a well 2 1/2 years ago, my first home with a well, so
managing it is all new to me.

I have colleagues and neighbors who have warned that if the pH of the well
water is low (acidic) and you have copper pipes, you could develop pinhole
leaks, and recommend a water softener/conditioner system to soften the water
and balance the pH.

We use a filter for drinking water, and the house has a screen type of
filter for large particulates.

I have mostly plastic pipes, so I don't have to worry about pinhole leaks.
However, since we bought the house (it is now 10 years old), we have had to
replace both sink faucets in the second upstairs bathroom. On the most
recent one, the plumber said there were signs of erosion, some greenish
deposits, and suggested we get his company to give an estimate for a
softener/conditioner system.

I got the estimate, and the plumber who gave the estimate tested the water,
and said that the pH was a little low (slightly acidic). He did say that
this could lead to future failure of faucets and the water heater, as well
as stains/deposits in sinks and toilets. We have had no stains or deposits
ever.

The estimate is $3000 (!!).

I have the same concern. My well water pH runs around 6 to 6.5. House
is about 35 years old and I can recall having 2 pinhole leaks fixed.
The last about 8 years ago. I don't have greenish stains which would be
indicative of copper and have resisted adding treatment system. I've
replaced most of the faucets and water heaters only last about 7 years.

Treatment systems besides high cost, require maintenance. I balance this
with occasional inconvenience of plumbing repair. I would not let the
plumber panic me.

Frank