Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Toilet Wax Seal ?

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Feb 18, 7:36 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the wax ring seal under toilets -

Would you expect that if it is beginning to go, or has gone "a little",
that you would see water leakage only when you flush, or
all the time ?

How long do these things typically last ?
Are there new types, or is it still the waxy material ?

Thanks,
Bob

"Fernco waxless toilet seal" - I used one the last time I pulled the
toilet. I will never fool around with the wax type again. For one
thing, the Fernco one is reuseable (on the same toilet) in that you
can pull the toilet and replace it without having to mess around with
the seal.

Harry K

Amen to that. I had to replace a toilet and reinstall two others recently
and I used the Fernco seals. I will never go back to wax rings!