Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that Dave, I can't do that is offline

Default Belt sander: Smoke escape! : MORE Smoke {grin}

OK, replying to my own postings.

Unless I can get some other information I will assume that the Black/
Black make contact and the White/Red but can't be sure as the switch

I guess the switch had some different internal wiring. I plugged in a
10A DPDT switch I had lying around. The lights dimmed the motor ran. I
put a clip-on meter and it was drawing 18+ Amps! Hasty turn off as a
wisp of smoke curled out of the back of the motor.

looks like a scrap job to me unless I can find a cap start motor to
fit in the available space. {sigh}

Dave