Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default End Milling Into a Corner Without 'Snipe'?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 03:25:57 GMT, (Doug White) wrote:

Any suggestions or tricks?

Thanks!

Doug White

Use a slot drill (two flute centre cutting cutter) if you really must avoid
the digging in. It will protect you because the front flute will be clear of
the cut before the back flute is close enough to risk digging in.

That's a good idea. I don't have many two flute end mills, but it's
something I should invest in.

One question: If the idea is to make sure it's only making contact on
one edge at a time, should I use a straight flute end mill? I don't have
to worry about lifting chips out of a pocket for my immediate problem,
and it seems to me that a spiral flute end mill would defeat the
advantage of two flutes for this operation.

Thanks!

Doug White