Derek

Default Arc welder and house lights/appliances

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:29:50 -0700, Sunworshipper
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:02:57 -0500, "Camilo Ramos"
wrote:

Hello all!

Finally considering an arc welder. I still must decide between
buying/building either a transformer type or one based in a truck
alternator. Pricewise, buy/build the transformer (copper wire, iron
laminate, etc) seems similar to build the alternator type (motor,
alternator, battery, etc).

Have you considered running off of your vehicle ? I know a number of
people that have multiple alternators under the hood and do great
welding from them. One person in particular can bring a screaming V-8
to its knees while welding. Sounds like amplified finger nails on a
chalk board.

Have you considered using regular car batteries???

I have used 2 or 3 hooked up in series (depending on thickness of
steel & rod etc.) Although dangerous, it can be used in the bush using
jumper cables, vice grips to hold the rod and all you need is a small
welders lens and an asortment of rods.

Check it out
http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_se...y_welding.html