Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Aluminum jeep frame

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John Martin" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 6:48 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Can you have an entire Jeep frame hot-dip galvanized? I've never seen
anything bigger than about the size of a toaster oven done that way. But
maybe the frames come in pieces?

Ed Huntress

Yes, you can. Replacement frames for Land Rovers are available hot-
dip galvanized, and I believe those are done here. Look hard enough
and you might find hot-dipped Jeep frames as well.

As to an amuminum frame, I might be a bit concerned about reactions
where it meets steel pieces.

John Martin

Aha! I see on the Web that someone says it cost only $200 to get his
Chevelle wagon frame acid-dipped and hot-dip galvanized. I had no idea it
would be that cheap.

http://einstyn.com/einstyn-hardtop-02.htm

It looks like a good way to go, except that the insides of the tubes still
have to be treated.

Hollow tube frames can be done also if you know what you're doing. A guy
near me has Marcos steel tube chassis done inside and out, he said it
did take a few goes to get it right and he has the dipper trained to do
the job right. Someone else I know had a simple hollow tube chassis done
and said he could lift it by himself when it went in but not when it
came out as the tubing hadn't been drained properly, costly as you pay
by the weight of zinc typically.

--
Ed Huntress