Posted to uk.d-i-y
andyv andyv is offline

Default significance of VA on power monitor

On 17 Feb, 17:01, geoff wrote:
In message
,
andyv writes

Thanks folks. I've been measuring individual circuits with the power
monitor and also the whole supply with a data logger attached to the
incoming meter. I've run this in lots of different ways with different
circuits on or off in an attempt to get an idea of electricity use.
Gradually I've found items of waste which I've been able to
eliminate.

There's still 0.5 kwh going astray midnight to 6.00am and maybe all
day too, after I've accounted for everything I know about - fridge,
security lights, clocks, central heating and various other things like
garage door on standby. I wondered if there might be a clue in the VA
reading.

So what's the stated accuracy of your new little toy then?

Are you losing watts or measurement errors ?

--
geoff

I have thought of that but the declared accuracy seems quite good -
see http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...&doy=18m2#spec

Most of my readings come from the data logger though. This is separate
to the power monitor. I have a device which counts the red flashing
light pulses on the main meter. Each flash is 1 watt hour so I can
build up a picture of what passes through the meter over different
time periods. I'm particularly interested in what happens when
everything is idling in the middle of the night.

One potential item which I'm investigating is the frost thermostat on
the boiler.