Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default slab movement 1.5" within 40 feet

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:33:49 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

It is sheer laziness and cheapness on the part of builders. Unless it is
solid granite, dirt can be dug. To say it would cost $10,000.00 to build a
basement, is an excuse. Here in the north, foundations have to go down 4 to
5 feet, so just about every house builder creates a basement, and yes, it
can cost $10,000.00 and nobody considers it too much.

Southern climates allow the builders to skip a lot of expenses, and call it
standard practice, which keeps more money in their pocket.

Actually, there are several granite quarries in the Hill Country of
Texas. Water wells are seldom cased because they are solid rock, top
to bottom.

Fact is folks just don't have to burrow into the ground down here.

I agree southern builders are allowed to skip a lot of UNNECESSARY
expenses. It is called standard practice because... it is standard.

I would not live in a place that sells insulated coveralls in August
but not lawn chairs.

--Andy Asberry--