Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electric hot water tanks - thermostat

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:50:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Or you can very carefully use a meter. ?I would, when the power is
off, make sure that the insulation isn't in the way of making
measurements, and for the lower element, I would sit on the floor so I
didn't fall over and fall into the waterheater. ?I would even consider
using jumper wires with alligator clips on both ends and connecting
these to the meter probes and the screws when the power is off, then
turning the power back on. ?I assume you are well acquainted with the
precautions you need for 240 volts. ?It's much more dangerous tan 110.

**But the new styrofoam? insulation around the thermostat left no easy
room for even the one LED, so instead now I have none.

ahh LEDs are generally run on just a few volts max.

Well, some are made for higher and come with resistors to lower the
voltage to that, but I think you are still absolutely right wrt water
heaters. Thanks for the correction.

what your probably want are neon lamps, they can run on 120 or 240
volts

Yes, and they do fine with AC current. I've only seen led's on direct
current. I thought about that before I posted but then thought,
"Heck, it's a diode. It will just rectify the AC." But now I don't
know.

they use nearly no power, and last nearly forever