Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default End Milling Into a Corner Without 'Snipe'?

What's that Lassie? You say that Doug White fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 18 Feb 2008 03:25:57 GMT:

I have a technique question about milling. Lets say I'm machining a
rectangular pocket, or just an inside corner of an "L" in something. I'm
coming along one wall, using conventional milling. When I get to the
corner and touch the next wall, the end mill will want to flex sideways
and dig in a little bit into the wall I just finished. This produces a
small 'snipe' (a woodworking term, not sure if there is a metalworking
specific equivalent) which looks a little fugly.

If you take a light cut this won't happen as much.
Rough out the shape(leaving a 'snipe'), then go back and finish cut
(to remove the 'snipe' from the first pass).

Dan
--

Dan