Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default Aluminum jeep frame

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

many years ago i visited a hot dip place in long island city, near the
noguchi museum and mark di suvero's studio. i was amazed they let me walk
all throughout the shop. checking out their huge vats of pickle, etc.
there was a big vat of molten zinc, it was flush with the floor, no
protective barriers around it at all. i was astounded (not just at that
vat of molten zinc but that they'd let me walk right up next to it!) the
vat was (in my memory) about 5 or 6 feet wide and about 12 or 15 feet
long, no idea really how deep, i only guessed it must be about as deep as
the acid tanks, 4 or 5 feet deep. that must've been one very HEAVY thing
huh?! was way cool. they're out of business now. a shame.

b.w.

oh, and they had stacks of stuff that they'd already done. was very pretty,
that crystaline pattern of the hot dip. the way i remember it they were
dipping street corner traffic signal poles, so i bet the tank that i
remember was even longer than 15 feet.