Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default Aluminum jeep frame

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 6:48 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Can you have an entire Jeep frame hot-dip galvanized? I've never seen
anything bigger than about the size of a toaster oven done that way. But
maybe the frames come in pieces?

Ed Huntress

Yes, you can. Replacement frames for Land Rovers are available hot-
dip galvanized, and I believe those are done here. Look hard enough
and you might find hot-dipped Jeep frames as well.

As to an amuminum frame, I might be a bit concerned about reactions
where it meets steel pieces.

John Martin

Aha! I see on the Web that someone says it cost only $200 to get his
Chevelle wagon frame acid-dipped and hot-dip galvanized. I had no idea it
would be that cheap.

http://einstyn.com/einstyn-hardtop-02.htm

It looks like a good way to go, except that the insides of the tubes still
have to be treated.

--
Ed Huntress

many years ago i visited a hot dip place in long island city, near the
noguchi museum and mark di suvero's studio. i was amazed they let me walk
all throughout the shop. checking out their huge vats of pickle, etc.
there was a big vat of molten zinc, it was flush with the floor, no
protective barriers around it at all. i was astounded (not just at that vat
of molten zinc but that they'd let me walk right up next to it!) the vat
was (in my memory) about 5 or 6 feet wide and about 12 or 15 feet long, no
idea really how deep, i only guessed it must be about as deep as the acid
tanks, 4 or 5 feet deep. that must've been one very HEAVY thing huh?! was
way cool. they're out of business now. a shame.

b.w.