Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Aluminum jeep frame

mark wrote:
I would liketo build a new frame for my jeep CJ-7 and want something
that will not rust, ever. Would 2" X 4" X 1/4" wall aluminum tubing be
strong enough. How would that compare in strength to 2" X 4" X 1/8"
wall steel which is what aftermarket frames are made from?

It'll break. It's one of the reliable characteristics of aluminum. It
flexes, work hardens, and comes apart.

Stick to steel. It welds, flexes, and lasts, far better than aluminum
tube will.

The aluminum frames for cars that are out there, definately are not
just cobbled together out of tube. Serious stress analyisis, mondo heat
treating ovens, carefull process control all the way. Not a home remedy.

Cheers
Trevor Jones