Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Aluminum jeep frame

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 6:48 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Can you have an entire Jeep frame hot-dip galvanized? I've never seen
anything bigger than about the size of a toaster oven done that way. But
maybe the frames come in pieces?

Ed Huntress

Yes, you can. Replacement frames for Land Rovers are available hot-
dip galvanized, and I believe those are done here. Look hard enough
and you might find hot-dipped Jeep frames as well.

As to an amuminum frame, I might be a bit concerned about reactions
where it meets steel pieces.

John Martin

Aha! I see on the Web that someone says it cost only $200 to get his
Chevelle wagon frame acid-dipped and hot-dip galvanized. I had no idea it
would be that cheap.

http://einstyn.com/einstyn-hardtop-02.htm

It looks like a good way to go, except that the insides of the tubes still
have to be treated.

--
Ed Huntress