Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default painting problem- old house, plaster wall

On Feb 17, 5:32*pm, Norminn wrote:
KOS wrote:
Hi I am painting an old plaster wall in an older home. I have noticed
that the wall was painted 8 months ago with a primer and now some
areas are completely peeling to the plaster---- I realize this could
be calcimine but it could also be a moisture problem... If I put on a
primer with anti-calcimine feature i.e. B. Moore- if it turns out that
it is not calcimine--- will the oil based primer (thats B. Moore
Product) still be beneficial for the moisture problem????
Thanks
KOS

Calcimine would dissolve when wet, so doubtful that is what is peeling. *
You NOTICED it
was painted 8 mos ago, or you painted it 8 mos ago? *If you have a
moisture problem,
you need to fix it before you paint again........no primer is going to
stick to a wet surface
and not blister or peel. *Is it a bath or kitchen? *If conditions were
damp when it was
painted, and there is no leak, then the solution is to get the space
nice and dry and then
use a primer and paint labelled for use on plaster.

hi there. It was painted 8 months ago by another painter. Now it has
peeled right down to the plaster. This is a bedroom, brick house...The
plaster is dry not wet..and when it was painted the walls were totally
dry no moisture.