Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Drop ceiling/troffers?

Picked up some 2x4 troffers off craigslist yesterday, so today I started
evaluating exactly how to get rid of the unholy mess that was hiding
above my basement's drop ceiling. Drop in light grids with old and
busted shop lites above them nailed to the joists, wired up with brittle
old pieces of extension cord etc. (shudders) it'll be all better soon.

Anyway, now for the questions. Since the genius that put this ceiling
up arranged it the way he did, I'll have to put the troffers in "across"
the existing 2x4 ceiling panels, if that makes any sense - there's no
existing 2x4 grid space that I can drop a troffer in (due to
interference with ductwork etc.) but if I rotate it 90 degrees it fits
fine. So I'll have to go buy some more T-bars and maybe a couple
ceiling tiles (to allow for mistakes) and take a 4x4 space, and make it
two 1x4 tiles and the troffer in the middle. This is the first time
I've ever had to mess with a drop ceiling. Any gotchas I should be
aware of, or is it pretty much like it appears at first glance?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel