Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Aluminum jeep frame

"mark" wrote in message
news:a9978e0f-cf6c-4b53-9d60-
The problem with ant paint is the inside is not protected, my other
choices would be 1/8" wall stainless or just steel and have it hot
dipped galvanized.

Can you have an entire Jeep frame hot-dip galvanized? I've never seen
anything bigger than about the size of a toaster oven done that way. But
maybe the frames come in pieces?

The solution for inside treatments used by homebuilt airframe builders is
linseed oil, which seems to work OK. I've also heard of pouring in zinc
chromate primer, through a drilled hole, and then letting it out. Then there
is another aircraft solution, which is to pull a vacuum in the tubes, after
they've been interconnected with drilled holes, and installing a vacuum gage
in one of the tubes to keep an eye on it (but that's mostly to detect
cracks, although it also detects the integrity of the air seal). That sounds
like overkill to me.

The Excalibur car people used to fill the square tubes they used for frames
with expand-in-place foam. Supposedly it works quite well. They initially
used a urea-formaldehyde foam, but that pulled away from the metal with age.
Polyurethane foam-in-place has been recommended.

--
Ed Huntress