Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Aluminum jeep frame

"mark" wrote in message
I would liketo build a new frame for my jeep CJ-7 and want something
that will not rust, ever. Would 2" X 4" X 1/4" wall aluminum tubing be
strong enough. How would that compare in strength to 2" X 4" X 1/8"
wall steel which is what aftermarket frames are made from?

The aluminum would be roughly 2/3 as strong. More importantly to handling,
it would be 2/3 as stiff. Whether that's enough, someone else would have to
answer.

To get an advantage out of aluminum's low density you would have to use
different sectional depths or shapes. Since you're using the same section (2
x 4) with greater thickness, you're facing the specific
strength/stiffness/weight relationships of steel vs. aluminum. The rule of
thumb is that aluminum weighs 1/3 as much, is 1/3 as stiff, and is 1/3 as
strong.

However, the strength varies with the alloy, both of the aluminum and the
steel. You can compare weight and stiffness easily, because they're the
same, pretty much, for all alloys you're likely to encounter. But as someone
will probably point out, you could alter that strength ratio by quite a bit
by choosing specific alloys.

All in all, though, I think you'll wind up with a flexi-flyer that doesn't
have adequate stiffness. It's a lot cheaper to go all out in protecting the
steel. For example, epoxy-based, zinc-loaded primer.

--
Ed Huntress