Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wfhabicher@hotmail.com is offline

Default ARC STARTER couppling?

On Feb 17, 3:51 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
wrote: (clip) I get nothing! What is missing?... and why??

(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
At the frequency you are running, you probably have too much inductance in
your little transformer. Couldn't you hook directly into your welding
cable, so the HV goes in parallel to your welding voltage? Its purpose is
just to ionize the air and get the arc started, and then you don't need it
any more.

Points to ponder:

You finally got the 3000 to 10,000 Volts HF onto the welding cables to
initiate the arc.

How are you going to prevent this Voltage from destroying the DC
rectifier diodes and the insulation of the welding transformer??

What you need to consider is to place a 16 micro farad capacitor, AC
service type, as a shunt across the welding current terminals; in
effect this capacitor is in parallel with the bridge rectifier and
the welding transformer, providing a HF short circuit path.

Also place .1 micro farad caps in parallel with each individual
rectifier.

Don't ask how I know, but AC service capacitors, while expensive, are
cheaper than 250 Amps / 300 Volt rectifier diodes. :-)) My son
converted a Lincoln tombstone AC buzz box into a full blown AC/DC TIG
machine with foot pedal current control and HF arc starter. Nice
machine.

Wolfgang