Tom McDonald

Default Question re. Copper artifact Canadian Arctic former CopperCasting In America (Trevelyan)

George wrote:

(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in message ...

"Inger E Johansson" wrote:

stevewhittet,
if you belive the Norse type of carpenter plane to be common among
Scandinavians in Viking Age to Late Medieval Age in Greenland, then you
obviously don't know much. It wasn't a tool you traded. It wasn't a tool you

You can't support that statement with facts. Every carpenter,
shipwright, and cooper had not just one plane, but probably a
number of them.

The old carpenters and cabinet makers had anywhere between 20 and 30
different planes. Many were used to shape ogees.
I have 2 wooden planes one 8 inches long for little jobs and the other
nearly 30 inches. great for doors and other long accurate cuts.
http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/tools/woodlist.htm
Whats the betting inger has a grandfather who was a carpenter ?

George,

Interesting site. I wonder whether the prices asked on that
site are, adjusted for inflation, similar to the price paid by
the original owners. They seem pretty reasonable, for the age
and type of tools being sold.

Tom McDonald