Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 07:26:23 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:
If your pipes are galvanized you don't need di-electric fittings.

Hi Vic Smith,
THIS IS MY BIGGEST CONFUSION!
I see only *some* of the hot water heater replacement guides saying to use
the di-electric fittings while others ignore it totally. Our existing
plumbing has galvanized connected to flex tubing connected to nipple on the
hot water heater.

My guess is special tape/dope for NG is just bull**** to sell
expensive sealers, but do what you prefer with that.

I was wondering why some hot water heater repair guides said to use Teflon
tape (TPFE?) on the water lines but pipe dope (TPE?) on the gas lines yet
the tube that I bought says it works for both gas and water. That's
confusing. I was careful to only state in my hot water heater step by step
guide just what I had read in other guides, taking the best except where
they conflicted.

I use the same teflon tape for gas and water. As you've noted keep it
off the first couple threads so it can't get in the pipe flow.
I always look end-on to ensure that. Once inserted for tightening it
can't move forward.

Excellent hint! I'll add it to the tutorial as an additional step!
Thanks for improving the a.h.r hot-water heater tutorial for others to
benefit!

Unless it's the exact same tank, you will have to use different length
nipples. Until the new tank is in place, you are guessing.

Sigh. This was my biggest hurdle. Trying to get accuracy where there was
none. That's why we bought so many plumbing extras!

If you do it alone, do it when parts are available.

Yup. That's why we waited until after our morning showers on a Sunday. The
stores will be happy to sell us parts all day!

You may find some of the old pipes/fittings scaled up and need
replacing. Same with stop valves. This is the time to replace old
questionable stuff.

We agree. Strangely, the cold-water pipes are all full of crusty white
baking-soda like crud while the hot-water side seems relatively free of
scale. We're still replacing everything, including the old round green
twist gate valve, with newer better plumbing like the red lever ball valve.

Good luck. And let us know how it worked out.

Thanks Vic. I'd have to die trying in order not to report back to the
group. I'm the official photographer as Bill does the work (he hates my
flashing all around him) so I'll have complete step-by-step photos of the
job, starting from the fiasco when we tried to "save the box" the heater
came in.

Oh my! It was a disaster just getting the new hot water heater out of the
box, upside down, without damaging the box!

Donna