Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default expanation of 3 phaze power

Nick Mueller wrote:

L1, L2, and L3 are the phases. M1, M2 and M3 are the motors.
L1 is the only phase available, so you connect it to M1L1. M2L1 and M3L3 are
open, because we don't want to let them run. OK so far?

No this is where your analysis falls apart.

A single phase supply is TWO count 'em TWO wires, i.e. L1 AND L2

Now the voltage generated in M1L2 and M1L3 goes where? Nowhere, because they
are not connected on M2 and M3 (because we don't want to let them run).

When you run any ONE of the 3 motors, it will generate a phantom
voltage on the 3rd leg. YOu have to get that one running first (some
how), then it can act as the (sort of RPC) to start the other two.

You also seem to be missing the difference between a motor that is
running, but UNLOADED, and one that is disconnected. You consistently
seem to assume that an unloaded motor is a stopped motor.

Now we let run all three motors at the same time.
Connections:
M1L1 to M2L1 and M3L1
M1L2 to M2L2 and M3L2
and
M1L3 to M2L3 and M3L3

Now the voltage generated in M1L2 is feed into M2L2 and M3L2 (same for L3).
But at the same time M2 and M3 generate voltage at L2. Now do you really
think that one motor can drive L2 and L3 of the two other motors and at the
same time doesn't lose any energy?
Note that I disregarded losses and was talking about an ideal machine.

OF COurse it loses energy, that is how the 3rd phase gets developed.
But the energy loss is supplied by the "Real" phase pair.

jk