Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Electric hot water tanks - thermostat

"Pat" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 9:03 pm, Reinhard wrote:
I have two 75 gallon(US) electric hot water tanks plumbed in parallel.
House is new - we moved in 16 months ago and starting about 3 weeks ago
there has been a shortage of hot water. We are running out of hot water
sooner than we used to with similar use patterns. Water temp is plenty
hot to start with and for quite a while. The problem is about a one-third
to one-quarter loss of capacity. We are now running out of hot water when
everyone is taking a shower, some of us like long showers. If only 2 or 3
people shower there is no problem. For over a year we could never run out
of hot water but now we do, fairly often.

I think the dip tubes must be fine or we would have a problem with the
first shower, not the fourth.

I tested the elements with a continuity tester and all four lit up the
light. I also tested for resistance and got about 14.3 ohms for all 4
elements. That's why I think a thermostat is the problem.

Voltage is 240 and there are 4 thermostats. The make of the tanks is
Giant, model 172ETE-3F7M, 4500 watt elements.

The upper wire block has 7 screws - 4 in the left column and 3 in the
right column, there is a high limit reset button which has no effect on
problem. There is a yellow and a blue wire to the upper element and a red
wire to the lower element and a black wire to the lower thermostat. There
is a temp setting screw.

The lower wire block has 2 screws - black wire in and a black wire to the
element.

I downloaded the manufacturers wiring diagram and the connections match
the diagram. Worked fine for over a year so I assume connections are OK.

Can someone explain how to test and determine which thermostat is bad? Or
could there be a bad element?

Thanks,

Reinhard

This is slightly OT, but I have 8-unit apartment complexes that run
off of 150 gal electric tanks and no one ever complains about lack of
hot water.

Residential electric water heaters use 2- 4.5 KW (standard) elements,
operating one at a time, to heat the water. Commercial electric water
heaters can use more and higher KW elements in the same size tanks, so they
have much faster recovery