Dan Caster

Default Using microwave xmfr for resistance soldering?

1. I suspect 12 volts is a bit high. 2. AC ought to be as good as DC.
3. Use fewer turns on the secondary. 4 Set the length of the pulse
so one pulse is the right amount of heat. 5. Use very heavy wire. 6
gauge or bigger. Might be easier to wind three or more #10 wires in
parallel.

Dan

Eric R Snow wrote in message

1) Does 12 volts sound reasonable? Would a different voltage be
better?
2) Is DC better than AC? Does it matter?
3)What would be good ways to limit the current? Would a lamp dimmer on
the input side of the xmfr work? Wouldn't that also lower the voltage?
Would that matter?
4) I have a timer that pulses a relay on and off. I can set the length
of the pulses. Sort of what a lamp dimmer does but much longer pulses
(1 second and up) and the voltage would be the same out as in. But the
brass would average the heating. Would this work almost as well as
lowering the current? Better?
Any other input is much appreciated.
Thank You,
Eric R Snow,