Posted to uk.d-i-y
andyv andyv is offline

Default significance of VA on power monitor

On 16 Feb, 20:56, John Rumm wrote:
andyv wrote:
I've been experimenting with a plug in power monitor. It reads out in
watts and also VA.

The better ones do...

As I understand it VA and watts should read the same when it's a
straight resistance circuit, but differ when there's a capacitor or an
inductance in the circuit. I'm really only interested in how much
power comes in and I'm charged for through my external electricity
meter.

Yup

Is the VA reading of any practical use to me?

Only in that it lets you see when you have a reactive load.

(Depending on what other variables the meter can show you it may also be
useful to help you estimate the current carrying capacity required for a
given load).

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Thanks folks. I've been measuring individual circuits with the power
monitor and also the whole supply with a data logger attached to the
incoming meter. I've run this in lots of different ways with different
circuits on or off in an attempt to get an idea of electricity use.
Gradually I've found items of waste which I've been able to
eliminate.

There's still 0.5 kwh going astray midnight to 6.00am and maybe all
day too, after I've accounted for everything I know about - fridge,
security lights, clocks, central heating and various other things like
garage door on standby. I wondered if there might be a clue in the VA
reading.