Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default slab movement 1.5" within 40 feet

Jack wrote:
Not a foundation expert, but doesn't sound critical to me. My main
concern with a slab foundation is they are prone for termite invasion.
Crack usualy will open beneath a wall unseen and termites can enter and
do extensive damage before you realize they are around. For that reason
I would never be sucker enough to buy a slab house. I lived in Florida
for 40 years and in my subdivision every house with a slab floor had a
termite problem. Those with crawl spaced were spared. Good luck.

My experience is the exact opposite.

I grew up on a slab, and there was no trouble with termites. And as far as
I know there was no trouble in the surrounding homes which were also on
slabs.

When I was looking for a house to buy, many of the houses that were on
a crawlspace had obvious termite damage. Some was not repaired, others had
sistered joists. Every crawlspace I ever saw (and I probably have seen a
hundred or so) was a haven for spiders, crickets and just about any other
insect you could name. Not to mention in many cases standing water.

Here's one, it was a nice looking brick house, where I'd guess all the
bugs drowned:

http://tinyurl.com/2vv9a8

--
Tony Sivori