Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default Where to find PCB LED assemblies

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ZSjtj.725$0%3.218@trnddc06,
James Sweet wrote:
They're pulse driven to give multiple brightness levels. Low as
markers,
then they get bright when the brakes are activated. It has nothing to
do
with increasing the max brightness.

Eh?

What?

The lights I'm talking about are used in lieu of twin filament
incandescent lamps for tail/brake lights. These have two brightness
levels, and to achieve that with LEDs they use PWM dimming to give two
levels.

I don't think that is an actual requirement though. A LED could just as
easily be dimmed by DC current reduction, although I agree, it would less
efficient in terms of wasted energy. Some time back, I did a lot of
reading on driving LEDs, and the manufacturers seem to advocate pulse
drive for two reasons. The first is that very high pulse currents can be
used compared to DC drive currents. As the light output is proportional to
the current, this means that very high level light pulses can be achieved,
without hotting up the die beyond what it can dissipate. The total result
of this is a higher average light output for a lower dissipation than
would be achieved by DC drive. The second reason is that pulse drive
extends the useful 50% life of the LEDs, by as much as 10 times. So I
guess both you are right in that it makes them easier to control, and so
is Dave in that it makes them brighter ...

Arfa

All in all, I feel that pulse drive is terrible for tail lights. As someone
else stated they are irritating to the eyes. I can't stand driving behind
someone with LED taillights. They make my eyes do weird things and it is not
a plesant expirence. I already wear glasses and have some trouble seeing at
night, I don't need more trouble from tail lights that are flashing at 30hz.
No one else I know can seem to see that they are flashing, but then again I
can also tell if my monitor is set at 60 or 85hz just by looking at it. For
me the flashing stops at about 85hz.

Mike