Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Woodwork refinishing

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 06:36:15 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

I have a home that is about 90 years old and all the Walnut trim in my
house is original, yet needs some TLC in order to bring it back to its
original luster.

I have never undertaken anything like this, and would like to know if
there are any good resources on the internet that you all can
recommend? I need advice along the lines of stripping vs. cleaning,
and sanding vs. chemical cleaners. Also, i am really fuzzy on whether
or not I would need to re-stain the wood after I either sand it or
strip it. Like I said, I am a rookie.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

This would be similar to refinishing a piece of furniture--lots of
books available on this topic at your local library. But it would be
more difficult because of the bodily positions required to do the
work. Find out what finish is on your trim. If the trim is inside a
closet or behind a door, you can do some testing there. You will also
need a lot of patience.