Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.components
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Exchanging Parts Any one? I have lots of NPN, and I want some PNP like Tip145, Tip146, Tip147

Lostgallifreyan wrote in
:

MOSFET's die so easily, do google search on "Mosfet failure" you will
see what I mean. It depends on the application really, MOSFET's are
still good for other applications but not to drive heavy duty coils
that has a AC kick-back effect. If MOSFET's were used in your vehicle,
99% of the traffic will stop moving.

Many are intended for switching high current loads, and have protection
diodes built in, and can have more added. I'm fairly sure a varistor or
zener will punish any errant spikes forcibly enough, too.

Further to this, I've seen Robin Bowden's small video of a laser diode module
he zapped with a gas ignitor. All that happened was the laser diode flashed
as the ernergy hit it. He protected it with no more that a zener and a low
ESR ceramic cap, and maybe a resistor, so if you can protect a laser diode
that way, against strong direct repeated hits, I GUARANTEE you can protect a
MOSFET.