Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can an old (1962) telephone be connected to a modern BT socket?

In article 47b6feb8@qaanaaq,
On 2008-02-16 15:00:41 +0000, (Andrew
Gabriel) said:

Back in the days of BT approvals in Baynard House, I took a couple
of devices along to get their approvals, which was a remarkably
unscientific process.

... (although testing had been taken over by BABT by then, and
they might have changed the procedure).

Probably not. You should have seen what they did with an X.25 gateway
that I took to them at one point.

How strange -- I designed X.25 switches at GEC in the 1980's,
and had to get those tested for PSS approvals in early days,
and the line modules had to get electrical approvals. One I
remember was our G.704 module which we designed to provide a
raw unstructured 2Mbit X.25 link over BT's Megastream service.
Went along to Baynard House, and the bloke took it and looked
at it, and said "that's fine". It was the first G.704 module
they'd seen, and they didn't have any tests defined for it!

--
Andrew Gabriel