Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer The Wanderer is offline

Default significance of VA on power monitor

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:18:43 -0800 (PST), andyv wrote:

I've been experimenting with a plug in power monitor. It reads out in
watts and also VA.

As I understand it VA and watts should read the same when it's a
straight resistance circuit, but differ when there's a capacitor or an
inductance in the circuit. I'm really only interested in how much
power comes in and I'm charged for through my external electricity
meter.

Domestic supplies are charged on kwh's, not kvah.

Is the VA reading of any practical use to me?

Haven't you answered your own question? (Rhetorical!)

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net