Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default No shower curbs

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 9:38 am, wrote:
I am wondering how these bathrooms are done without a shower curb:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_...mg/hd6_s_1.jpg

There is still a shower pan below, or no? Or you have to consider the
entire bathroom a giant shower pan and slope everything to the shower
drain?

I have a bathroom I am remodeling where the space between the shower
edge and the closet flange is two inches less than the minimum
clearance (16") and I don't want a 4"-6" thick curb to hold up the
shower door, I was thinking this may be the solution, but may be there
are other creative ways.

There are a bunch of ways to do it. There are compressible rubber
'saddles' that act as a barrier and still allow a wheelchair, or foot,
to cross over it without problems. There are products that waterproof
the entire tiled installation (a very good idea) -
http://www.schluter.com/

Depending on how a particular part of the bathroom is to likely get
wet will determine how concerned you should be about waterproofing
areas outside of the shower and will determine how much of a slope you
need to build in. If you're on a slab on grade (I think you are,
right?) then waterproofing is not such a big concern, but if the
bathroom is sitting on wood framing, then you should be much more
concerned.

RicodJour:

Yes I am slab on grade. Thanks for the schluter reference I will check into
it I used their trim products before did not know they have such an
extensive product offerings. My shower area is about five by seven feet in
size, with the shower heads on the two five foot long wall, a shower door
needs to be on the seven foot opening. I was hoping I can just use a floor
to ceiling piece of glass half about 4 feet side and left the other side
open.

Thanks,

MC