Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Will a HD plasma TV biought in Canada work in UK??

"Yukio YANO" wrote in message
Yukio YANO wrote:
BLOGGZPOT wrote:
sorry if this question is OT for this group but thought I'd give it a
go. I am returning to UK and have a relatively new ( 6 months old) HD
plasma TV I want to bring back if poss. - I know 'normal' TV's won't
work but are plasma any different? ( bear with me I'm not techie-just
press the button and hope it works sort of person). i ve heard you can
buy a plug in to transform the tv from NTSC to PAL -i would be using a
cable or sattelite system if that changes anything. thanks

Clare

I think what you save on "shipping" will make up the "Loss" on selling
locally and buying something "Newer" in England ! I know its hard to let
go of something that you bought with Hard-earned money, but in this
technology driven world, Newer is often cheaper than New !

Yukio YANO

OH ! and I forgot, Your warranty is no longer valid, and they use 220 Volt
power in England

Actually, nominally 230v 50Hz, and often as not, it's still at the original
240v level that we had before we started 'aligning' with those the other
side of our English Channel (that's a stretch of water, not a TV channel !!)

HD channels here are pretty much limited to the Sky TV satellite service,
and some cable operators. On Sky, you need a different STB, and you have to
pay an extra subscription. There are only a few channels in HD format.
Digital terrestrial TV is lacking in space to accommodate HD, and it was
expected that when the analogue service finally ceases totally, more space
would be allocated out of the remains of the UHF band. However, there are
currently rumblings from Ofcom, who are now little more than a government
mouthpiece for spectrum planning and awarding, that this will not be the
case, and a different compression scheme will have to be used to accommodate
HD transmissions within the currently allocated bandwidth. This has not
pleased the manufacturers, because it makes a mockery of TVs labelled "HD
Ready". Don't you just love governments ... The whole digital thing has been
less to do with providing an improved service, than it has about freeing up
UHF spectrum for ultimate auctioning to the highest bidder in the cellphone
business, with the express purpose of making the government squillions.

I would suggest to the OP that he does as someone else suggested, and leave
his current set in Canada. Then, when he gets back here, he can nip to his
nearest electrical barn, and pick up a UK compatible plasma or LCD, complete
with a shiny new 2 year or more warranty. Some manufacturers are now
offering a 5 year warranty, including the panel. Even Tesco are now selling
flat panel TVs, and they have dropped in price so much over the last 12
months, that it would not be worth bringing his existing set, on shipping
cost grounds alone.

Arfa