Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

Lou wrote:
snip
And let's not forget that in order to drive, s/he needs a vehicle, one that
is probably more or less dedicated to the business, and that has to be paid
for also.

According to http://www.careeroverview.com/plumbing-careers.html the median
wage for a plumber in 2002 was $19.30/hour. Assuming a 40 hour work week
for 50 weeks a year, that comes to $38,600/year. Doesn't sound like a way
to get rich quick.

The wage to the technician is just a starting point, since few are
independent contractors. Most work for larger concerns who also must
pay ancillary personnel.

A question on the cost of the permit - how much would it cost if you went to
the town office and got the permit yourself?

A cost that nobody seems to have factored in, is removal and disposal of
the old water heater. In some areas of this country, that can be
substantial. In others...well, I've seen a lot of old water heaters
littering the countryside.

Also, access is a serious issue in many structures; and this applies
equally to both removal and installation. I could easily replace the
unit in my basement; but I once had a shop where the heater was mounted
in the attic. That one would have required a couple of guys for a
couple of hours to replace--involving ropes & pulleys, not to mention a
significant amount of risk--in addition to the normal procedures.

jak