Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Wiring Question Phanton Power when switch off

On Feb 15, 1:27*am, sdppm wrote:
I wired up some lights with a dimmer switch. When I have the switch in
the off position I am still showing 67 volts. That is accross the
Netural( White) and the Load (Black) Wire. If I measure between the
netural and ground it is Zero and if I measure between the Load and
ground I get 67 volts. Where have I gone wrong. Thanks for the help

I just want to make sure when you say off, you really mean off. On
most dimmers you either slide a switch or rotate a knob to brighten or
dim the lamp. And then there is a separate off, usually either a
distinct click at the dim end of the rotation, or else you have to
push in and click the switch to get "off". So you are really turning
the dimmer off as opposed to just setting it all the way to the dim
end of the range? You probably already know that but I wanted to ask
just to make sure rather than ASSume. The capacitive coupling with a
digital multimeter is probably the true cause.

Ken