Brian Lawson

Default FridgeTV was can't pass up usefull trash

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:28:08 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I was in Fry's Electronics walking past appliances when I realized the sound
for a movie was coming out of the refrigerator section. They had an LCD on
the front of the door!

I recall as a kid in High School, in the mid fifties, we had a
traveling show demonstration from two Bell Labs guys. They showed us
some transistors, and explained their composition and theory. They
also had a nice 12" round tube black&white TV for display too, and
I distinctly recall that one of the guys said:

"Some day in the future, there won't be any vacuum tubes in a
television, and all the electronic circuits required to run one this
size will be many many tiny transistors, and they will all fit on the
head of a large pin, except for the picture tube. But it will take a
cooling system the size of a refridgerator to keep it cool!!"

Guess he was wrong, eh?? They got the "picture tube" on it too!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX