Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull Nick Hull is offline

Default Brown water from outside hydrant?

In article
,
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

I'll bet the brown water is just stirred up gunk from inside the pipe
and will go away after a while. The loss of water pressure is a
design problem.

I concur. In my system the water travels 400' from the spring to the
house, and while the water is perfectly clear the pipe will slowly build
up silt deposits. Once a year I drain the pipe and then turn on the
pump and let it free flow thru an outside (full diameter) faucet. The
enclosed air from draining the pipe acts like gravel in stirring up the
deposited silt and the water will be brown for a few seconds then clear
up. Perfectly normal.