Posted to alt.home.repair
hobbes hobbes is offline

Default Wiring Question Phanton Power when switch off

On Feb 15, 1:27*am, sdppm wrote:
I wired up some lights with a dimmer switch. When I have the switch in
the off position I am still showing 67 volts. That is accross the
Netural( White) and the Load (Black) Wire. If I measure between the
netural and ground it is Zero and if I measure between the Load and
ground I get 67 volts. Where have I gone wrong. Thanks for the help

Hi,

It can depend on the dimmer. Some dimmers, like the Lutron Diva's have
a small glow lamp in the switch that glows when the switch is off.
They draw a small amount of power to glow. The current also goes
through the light bulb, but it is so low that the bulb does not light
up.

Warmest regards, Mike.