Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Wiring Question Phanton Power when switch off

sdppm wrote:
I wired up some lights with a dimmer switch. When I have the switch in
the off position I am still showing 67 volts. That is accross the
Netural( White) and the Load (Black) Wire. If I measure between the
netural and ground it is Zero and if I measure between the Load and
ground I get 67 volts. Where have I gone wrong. Thanks for the help

A common question. You are probably measuring with a good digital meter.
You are seeing a "phantom voltage". There is capacitive coupling - as
between a hot wire and switched wire to and from the switch. This
produces a very small current, but produces a reading on a good high
resistance meter. A light bulb with pigtail leads will indicate if
voltage is actually present.

--
bud--