Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default BirdsMouth Cut in Rafter

On Feb 14, 8:51*am, Robert Allison wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Feb 13, 9:52 pm, Robert Allison wrote:

wrote:

I am cutting rafters for a shed roof. *The rafters will be 16o.c 2x6.
The rise is 3:12 (or 3 inches for each 12 inchs of run)

My question concerns the birdsmouth cut. *If I cut a 1 and 1/2 inch
heel cut and a 3 and 1/2 inch seat cut, I am in compliance with the
code for Height Above Plate for the rafter. *If I make this birdsmouth
cut, doesn't this alter the pitch of 3:12? *Would I also have to alter
the rise in some way to account for the birdsmouth cut out of the
rafter?

Thanks for any assistance.

David

This is where experience counts. *You have correctly identified a
problem that often results in roofs that are 2-3/4" per foot or other
odd slopes. *The easiest way to deal with this is to simply measure
1-1/2 less for the top of your ridge, because that is how far down the
exterior bottom of your rafter is when it seats on the plate.

Example: *3/12 pitch roof with a 20' span = 30 inch rise

If you mark a vertical line at the vertical cut of your birdsmouth, you
will find that it is approx. 4-1/8" to the top of the 2x6 rafter from
the plate (or from the seat cut). *So 30" + 4-1/8" = 34-1/8" to the top
of the ridge from the top of the plate.

Since your birdsmouth is 1-1/2", you can measure from the bottom of the
top plate to the bottom of the rafter at the ridge for your 30" and then
add your rafter for the top of the ridge. *(A 2x6 rafter with a plumb
cut of 3/12 will measure approx. 5-5/8" along the plumb line.) *I
usually cut a pattern to mark the top of the ridge.

Hope that makes sense and hope it helps.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Of course the simplest and commonest solution is to just ignore it.
The change in pitch over any reasonable run, e.g. 12 ft for example
isn't enough to screw up anything.

Harry K

That is what most people do. *That is why you see so many rafters that
have gaps at the ridge and the birds mouth only sets on the plate at one
point.

I pay a little more attention to detail. *The curse of being both a
framing carpenter and a cabinet maker. *It also leads to everything
fitting better in the long run, and all the way through the building
process.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Any gap at the ridge or poor fit at the plate would be due to ****
poor layout work, not ignoring a very minor, nit picking, point in the
calculations. There are points in construction where such finicky
calculations are needed. In rough framing (and rafters are just
that), it is not only not needed, it is wasted time. I have been
kickign around both amatuer and pro constuction for most of my life
off and on (55 years) and have never seen anyone worry about that much
less do it. The carpentry couse I took conducted by professionals,
did not even mention it.

Harry K