Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North JR North is offline

Default Prob with CRT Replacement

I swapped in a yoke/ring set from a '94 Magnavox 9" TV (took the better
part of an hour to remove them). Same connections/wire color, but the
chassis didn't like it. Wouldn't power on with the yoke connected. I
successfully re-installed them in the Mag-works fine.
JR

James Sweet wrote:
"JR North" wrote in message
.. .

Well, it was a year and a half later, and I'm not a TV tech. I knew
immediately on power up it was a deflection problem, but too groggy to
figure it out until after posting. And yup...pitched the old tube with the
yoke on. My thinking at the time was I would just get another $1 beater
that some kid stuck a PBJ into the DVD drawer, and would get another CRT
out of the deal. But never ran into another deal like that.
I didn't know new tubes did not come with the yoke. I have this mental
image of seeing the old tube arc into the recycle bin....groan.
Still need help finding a yoke...gave y'all a good laugh, how about a bone
here?
JR

Good luck. It's unlikely that the yoke is available anymore, and it's a
critical component specific to the chassis it's designed to work with. Best
bet is to find another identical unit with another problem and salvage the
yoke. Some tubes have bonded yokes, the rest will not include a yoke.